1.02.2018

Welcome, 2018!

Hello, friends!
IT'S THE YEAR OF THE DOG!

I hope that you are all having a wonderful start to the new year. My family and I just got back from driving home from Florida, and I have had a lot of time to think about this blog post! 2017 was a great year overall. Here are some events in no particular order:
  • I visited China and my orphanage
  • I graduated high school
  • began college at UW Madison
  • baked my first ever pie!
  • went to my first-ever campus conference as a campus student
  • picked up classical guitar
Last year was great, but I'm still ready for a fresh start. 
I have more of a "focus" for this year instead of a goal. I'm going to focus on NOT forcing an identity onto myself that isn't me. I watched a Youtube video last year about a guy who was also Asian American, and I found that I could relate to a lot of struggles that he went through. It basically was not fitting in with certain groups because he wasn't "Asian enough," or, "American enough," but at the end, he discovered that he didn't have to force himself to fit in with any group. He just had to wait patiently for the right people to come along that became his own friend group(I could do a whole other blog post on being Asian American, will save it for later)!

Anyways, last year I found myself doing things that weren't necessarily making me happy. It ranged from listening to music that I didn't actually like, wearing clothes I didn't like, or hanging out with people who weren't helping me spreading JOY(wink wink) to others, and I decided that I want to be more real with myself this year. 

Certainly, it is good to push myself and to try new things. Some experiences in life take more perseverance and may take more time adjusting to them. I plan on taking full advantage of the diverse environment that I'm in at UW and trying different activities. I'm going to have a different mindset and will enjoy the people I'm surrounded with and enjoy the place that I'm in right now, not waiting for the future or tomorrow, but making the most of every day.


It's going to be fantastic. Do you have any goals?

Joy :) 

So Long, Freshman Year!

Hello, friend! I just wrapped up my year of college and am getting ready to live in China in 19 days (if you wanna donate to my GoFundMe...